Those who know us well enough know that we like to start the day with a mug of warm water with a squeeze of lemon and a shot of apple cider vinegar (ACV). Although this sounds rather strange there is a long list of health benefits, ranging from fending off colds to preventing indigestion… read on to find out more!
- Probiotic properties and gut health: ACV is made from fermented apple juice and as a result, like many other fermented foods, unpasteurised ACV contains probiotics (bacteria that supports gut health). If you’ve had to take antibiotics it is important that you re-balance your healthy flora with probiotics afterwards, as antibiotics indiscriminately kill all bacteria – good and bad.
- Helping to clear sinuses: the potassium it contains helps to thin mucus and it’s acetic acid properties help to prevent bacteria that contribute to nasal congestion.
- Mouth cleansing: the vinegar helps to kill bacteria in your mouth and gums, helping your mouth taste and feel fresher.
- Aids digestion: ACV contains pectin, which helps the body break down foods. Drinking a little in water 30 minutes or so before a meal could help to improve digestion.
- Feel fuller for longer: Several studies have shown that ingesting apple cider vinegar can increase satiety.
So, the benefits of adding apple cider vinegar to your diet far outweigh the taste (of which we actually quite like now). However, if you don’t feel brave enough to drink it on its own with hot water as we do, then you can try adding a little honey with it or, alternatively, there are plenty of other ways in which to incorporate it into your diet such as homemade mayonnaise and salad dressings.
Our favourite brand is Willy’s Apple Cider Vinegar. It’s organic, made in Herefordshire, UK and tastes so much better than other brands. They have a Honey infused ACV (photographed below) as well as a Honey & Tumeric ACV with black pepper (for better absorption of Curcumin) and a Fire Cider ACV. They also do 60ml shots for on-the-go as well as a range of kombucha drinks.
Top tip: Always dilute ACV, never drink it straight.